The department has four Computer Officers, three of whom are based at the New Museums Site and one at Tennis Court Road. They are available to provide services, training and advice on all aspects of IT provision.
- Jim Thompson Computer system manager, Room C7, New Museums Site, email@example.com
- Vanessa Blake Webmaster, DS user administration, Room C2, New Museums Site, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jon Cowper New Museums Site (half time)
- Robin Ansell IT manager, Tennis Court Road
New Museums Site
Within the New Museums Site building there is a computer suite with PCs available for use by all members of the department. They may be used to access your Desktop Services (DS) account. This is what used to be called the Public Workstation Facility (PWF). You can see your filespace and print using your Common Balance. It is not a Managed Cluster, therefore DS/PWF software is not available.
Most staff and postgraduates have a PC on their desks and people may bring their own laptops into the building after an initial check by the Computer Officers.
There are several wireless hotspots in the New Museums Site building, so most of the building is covered.
You may use eduroam, http://www.cam.ac.uk/cs/wireless/eduroam/ or Lapwing, http://www.lapwing.cam.ac.uk/ and more information is available on the page Can I bring my own laptop into the department and put it on the network?
Tennis Court Road
Researchers normally have a networked computer on their desks and some groups have communal machines.
The MBE room provides computer facilities for MBE students.
All staff and students at the Magnetic Resonance Research Centre have networked computers on their desks.
University Computing Service
The University Computing Service provides computing facilities and related services in support of research and teaching in the University of Cambridge.
- IT training - provided by the Computing Service and free of charge to current University staff and students
- Computing service topic based information
- Computing service software price list
- Computing service: Help, support and IT training
- Full list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) collected by Computer Services Help Desk