The Master's in Bioscience Enterprise programme aims to provide an interdisciplinary education for bioentrepreneurs and future leaders of the life science sector. Students are encouraged to acquire the knowledge, understanding and insight to enhance their entrepreneurship and to gain an understanding of how exploitable technologies are identified and commercial opportunities progressed through the creation and growth of companies.
The objectives of the course are to equip students with the necessary business and managerial skills to enable them to:
- Identify and commercialise opportunities arising from research in life sciences and related technology areas
- Found new and innovative companies and to exploit entrepreneurial opportunities
- Acquire executive roles within biotechnology companies and other science-based commercial entities
- Work as an effective member of an interdisciplinary team, assuming leadership and other specialist roles as required
- Apply analytical and problem-solving skills, with regard to constraints imposed by limitations of time and information
- Approach unfamiliar tasks and problems with an open and creative outlook
- Communicate effectively with a variety of audiences
Although the MBE is labelled as a "taught course", this as a misnomer. It is highly participatory and many students bring extensive and in-depth experience of the scientific, business, legal or finance worlds, which they share with other students in the numerous class group exercises. The course welcomes students who are prepared to contribute, share knowledge and practice team skills, as well as to participate in the many other opportunities that exist for extending entrepreneurial training and skills within the Cambridge environment, such as the business plan competitions. We are indeed seeking in the broadest sense achievers with that entrepreneurial spark!
Our vision is that our graduates, whatever career path they choose and in whatever national arena, are helping to spread a understanding of enterprise and entrepreneurship and the practicalities that they involve. By doing so they will foster the environment that helps to build a dynamic and enterprising global economy. Above all we hope that students look back on this phase of their professional development as an exciting and formative time that supported and accelerated achievement of their personal career goals.