Dr Gabriele Kaminski Schierle
|Position||Post doctoral researcher|
|Telephone||+44 (0)1223 (3)34193|
|Research group||Laser Analytics|
|Research project title||A study of neurodegenerative dysfunction and therapeutic intervention|
We develop and apply the full gamut of advanced imaging technologies to study problems in neurodegenerative diseases, ranging from superresolution single molecule imaging to whole organism imaging.
We have recently discovered that amyloids possess optically accessible energy states which permits to make sensors, that track, for the first time aggregation in vivo, and, that with superresolution imaging you can correlate species morphology with toxicity.
We also form part of the Wellcome Trust/MRC neurodegenerative disease consortium headed by Professor Peter St. George Hyslop on Alzheimer's disease and related neurodegenerative disorders.
Our research is neuroscience-focussed. In particular, we are interested in prion-like propagation of amyloid proteins, small molecule drug testing, and protein lipid interactions of amyloid proteins.
1. F.T.S. Chan, C.F. Kaminski, G.S. Kaminski Schierle. HomoFRET fluorescence anisotropy imaging as a tool to study molecular self assembly in live cells.(2011). ChemPhysChem, 12: 500 – 509.
2. G.S. Kaminski Schierle, C.W. Bertoncini, F.T.S. Chan, A.T. van der Goot, S. Schwedler, J. Skepper, S. Schlachter, T. van Ham, A. Esposito, J. Kumita, E.A.A. Nollen, C.M. Dobson, C.F. Kaminski. Optical imaging of the nature of α-synuclein amyloid formation in vitro and in vivo (2011). ChemPhysChem, 12: 673 – 680.
3. G. S. Kaminski Schierle, S. van de Linde, M. Erdelyi, E. K. Esbjörner, T. Klein, E. Rees, C. W. Bertoncini, C. M. Dobson. M. Sauer, C. F. Kaminski. In Situ Measurements of the Formation and Morphology of Intracellular ß-Amyloid Fibrils by Super-Resolution Fluorescence Imaging (2011). J. Am. Chem. Soc., 133 (33), pp 12902–12905.
4. Murakami T, Yang S, Xie L, Kawano T, Fu D, Mukai A, Bohm C, Chen F, Robertson J, Suzuki H, Tartaglia GG, Vendruscolo M, Kaminski Schierle GS, Chan FTS, Moloney A, Crowther D, Kaminski CF, Zhen M, St. George-Hyslop P, "ALS mutations in FUS causes neuronal dysfunction and death in C. elegans by a dominant gain-of-function mechanism", Hum. Mol. Genet., 21(1), pp 1-9, (2012), DOI: 10.1093/hmg/ddr417
5. Chakrabortee S, Tripathi R, Watson M, Kaminski Schierle GS, Kurniawan DP, Kaminski CF, Wise MJ, Tunnacliffe A, "Intrinsically disordered proteins as molecular shields", Mol. BioSyst, 8(1), pp 210-219, (2012), DOI: 10.1039/C1MB05263B.
6. Ahn M, De Genst E, Kaminski Schierle GS, Erdelyi M, Kaminski CF, Dobson CM, Kumita JR, "Analysis of the Native Structure, Stability and Aggregation of Biotinylated Human Lysozyme", PLoS One (2012), PLoS ONE 7(11): e50192. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.
7. Chan FTS, Kaminski Schierle GS, Kumita JR, Bertoncini CW, Dobson CM and Kaminski CF, "Protein amyloids develop an intrinsic fluorescence signature during aggregation", Analyst, 2013, 138 (7), 2156 – 2162.
8. Avezov E, Cross BCS, Kaminski Schierle GS, Winters M, Harding HP, Melo EP, Kaminski CF, Ron D,"Lifetime imaging of a fluorescent protein sensor tracks ER thiol redox revealing its surprising stability", Journal of Cell Biology (2013), 201 (2), 337-349, doi: 10.1083/jcb.201211155.
9. Pinotsi D, Buell AK, Dobson CM, Kaminski Schierle GS and Kaminski CF, "A label-free, quantitative assay of amyloid fibril growth based on intrinsic fluorescence" ChemBioChem (2013), 14 (7), 846-850, DOI: 10.1002/cbic.201300103.
10. M Erdelyi, EJ Rees, D Metcalf, GS Kaminski Schierle, L Dudas, J Sinko, AE Knight and Clemens F. Kaminski. Correcting chromatic offset in multicolor super-resolution localization microscopy. Optics Express 21 (9), 10978–10988 (2013) DOI: 10.1364/OE.21.010978.
11. Rees EJ, Erdelyi M, Kaminski Schierle GS, Knight AE and Kaminski CF, "Elements of image processing in localisation microscopy", Journal of Optics, in press (2013)
12. FTS Chan, GS Kaminski Schierle and CF Kaminski. Chapter 16: Protein amyloids develop a structure-specific intrinsic fluorescence which can be used to study their kinetics of aggregation. Uversky & Lyubchenko - Bionanoimaging, in press, 1st Edition.
13. GS Kaminski Schierle, M Sauer, C Kaminski, Chapter 13: Probing amyloid aggregation and morphology in situ by multiparameter imaging and optical superresolution microscopy, (invited), in press, Uversky & Lyubchenko - Bionanoimaging, in press, 1st Edition.
14. CF Kaminski, EJ Rees, and GS Kaminski Schierle. A quantitative protocol for live cell FRET imaging. Methods in Molecular Biology, Fluorescence Spectroscopy and Microscopy: Methods and Protocols. Y Engelborghs and T Visser (eds). Humana Press, a part of Springer Science + Business Media, LLC 2009.(invited), in press