Bioinspired and Nanostructured Materials
Protein Modification and Structuring
Group Leader "Photoactivable Nanodevices", DFG-Centre for Functional Nanostructures, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Germany (2008 - 2014)
Habilitation in Organic Chemistry, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany (2014)
Postdoctoral Researcher, Chemical Biology and Nanotechnology (Christof Niemeyer Group), University of Dortmund, Germany (2004 - 2008)
PhD in Biospectroscopy, University of Strathclyde (Duncan Graham, Ewen W. Smith), Glasgow, UK (2000 - 2004)
Diploma in Chemistry, University of Zagreb, Faculty of Science ( 1995 - 1999)
International Baccalaureate Bilingual Diploma, United World College of the Adriatic, Duino, Italy (1993 -1995)
Marie Curie Incoming International Fellowship
Overseas Research Award
University of Zagreb Rector's Award
Use of synthetic chemistry, molecular biology and various instrumental techniques to design bio-nano elements and hybrid materials for application in catalysis and medicine. This includes such research topics as protein modification and structuring, artificial enzyme design, DNA modification and applications beyond genetics (DNA based memory devices) and preparation of nano composite and light responsive materials.
More information HERE
Other Professional Activities
Scientific curator, art/science exhibition Exo-Evolution:Future is here, Centre for Art and Media, Karlsruhe (Oct 2015 - March 2016)
Science Popularisation: Among other Molecules that Changed the World interactive installation (with Bernd Lintermann, ZKM, Karlsruhe), Molecular Aesthetics (with Peter Weibel, ZKM, Karlsruhe), Nanotechnology and society (with Paul Youngman, Washington Lee University)
1. L. Stolzer, A. Vigovskaya, C. Barner-Kowollik, Lj. Fruk, A Self Reporting Tetrazole Based Linker for the Biofunctionalization of Gold Nanorods, Chemistry-A Eur. J. 2015, DOI: 10.1002/chem.201502070
2. C. Garcia-Astrain, C. Chen, M. Buron, T. Palomares, A. Eceiza, Lj. Fruk, M. Angeles Corcuera, N. Gabilondo, Biocompatible Hydrogel Nanocomposite with Covalently Embedded Silver Nanoparticles, Biomacromolecules 2015, 16(4), 1301
3. D. Kendziora, I. Ahmed, Lj. Fruk, Multifunctional Linker for Orthogonal Decoration of Gold Nanoparticles with DNA and proteins, RCS Advances 2014, 4(35), 17980.
4. M. Miljevic, B. Geiseler, T. Bergfeldt, P. Brockstaller, Lj. Fruk, Enhanced Photocatalytic Activity of Au/TiO2 Nanocomposite Prepared Using Bifunctional Bridging Linker, Adv. Funct. Mater 2014, 24(7), 1028
5. C. Cheng, I. Ahmed, Lj. Fruk, Reactive Oxygen Species Production by Catechol Stabilized Copper Nanoparticles, Nanoscale 2013, 11610.
6. G. Shtenberg, N. Massad-Ivanir, O. Moscowitz, S. Engin, M. Sharon, Lj. Fruk, E. Segal, Picking up the Pieces, A Generic Porous Si Biosensor for Probing the Proteolytic Products of Enzymes, Anal. Chem. 2013, 85(3), 1951
7. Yu-Chueh Hung, Wei-Ting Hsu, Ting-Yu Lin, Lj. Fruk, Photoinduced write- once read-many-times memory device based on DNA biopolymer composite, Appl. Phys. Lett. 2011, 253301
8. F. Bano, Lj. Fruk, B. Sanavio, M. Glettenberg, L. Casalis, C. M. Niemeyer, G. Scoles, Towards Multiprotein Nanochips Using Nanografting and DNA Directed Immobilization of Proteins, Nano Lett. 2009, 9(7), 2614
9. Lj. Fruk, C. M.Niemeyer, Covalent Hemin-DNA Adducts for Generating a Novel Class of Artifical Heme Enzymes. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2005, 44, 2603.
10. Lj. Fruk, A. Grondin, D. Graham, E.W. Smith, A Novel Approach to Oligonucleotide Labelling Using Diels Alder Cycloadditons and SERRS, Chem. Commun, 2002, 2100