News in 2014
- Paper published: Bazargan, A., Rough S.L. and McKay, G. (2014) Compaction of palm kernel shell biochars for application as solid fuel, Biomass and Bioenergy, 70, 489-497.
Dr Wolfgang Augustin and his team at ICTV, TU-Braunschweig, hosted the now annual workshop for researchers using the fluid dynamic gauging technique, known as FDG-Fest on 11th December. Researchers from ICTV were joined by folk from Bath, CEB and Porto, for a day of updates on FDG development and its application, interspersed by visits to Braunschweig's Weihnachtsmarkt :)
- Paper published: Bryan, M.P., Atherton, L.N., Duffield, S., Rough, S.L. and Wilson, D.I. (2015) Stages in spheronisation: evolution of pellet size and shape during spheronisation of microcrystalline cellulose-based paste extrudates, Powder Tech., 270, 163-175.
- Paper published: Wilson, D.I., Köhler, H., Cai, L., Majschak, J-P. and Chem. Eng. Sci., 123, 450-459. . (2015) Cleaning of a model food soil from horizontal plates by a moving vertical water jet,
P4G hogged the podium at the EHEDG Hygienic Study Awards in 2014, presented at the EHEDG Congress in Parma, Italy. Tao Wang was placed 3rd and Ole Mathis Magens (who has joined P4G from TU Dresden) was runner up. The winner, Marc Mauermann (also TU Dresden) has worked with P4G on several projects. Well done all!
- [November 2014] Dr Amanda Talhat has completed her PhD on solidification of cocoa butter. Well done Amanda!
- Paper published: Yang. Q, Wilson, D.I., Chang, S. and Shi, L. (2015) ‘A new approach for mitigating heat exchanger biofouling by promoting online cleaning using a sacrificial paraffin coating’, Heat Transfer Engineering, 36, 695-705.
- Paper published: Pogiatzis, T., Mergulhão, F.J., Vassiliadis, V.S. and Wilson, D.I. (2015) ‘When to clean and how to clean biofilms in heat exchangers’, Heat Transfer Engineering, 36, 676-684.
- Ian Wilson delivered the SCI's 2014 Henry Armstrong Lecture by at the University of Chester's new Science and Engineering Faculty on the evening of 6th November 2014 on the topic 'Soft solids are hard work'.
- Paper published: Lau, C.S.L., Yu, Q., Lister, V.Y., Rough, D.I., Wilson, D.I., and Zhang, M. (2014) ‘The evolution of pellet size and shape during spheronisation of an extruded microcrystalline cellulose based pharmaceutical paste’, Chem. Eng. Res. Des., 92, 2413-2424.
- Paper published: Torres, M.D., Hallmark, B., Wilson, D.I. and Hilliou, L. (2014) 'Natural Giesekus fluids: Shear and extensional behaviorof food gum solutions in the semidilute regime', AIChEJ, 60(11), 3902-2915.
- Mat Bryan was runner-up in the Poster Competition held at the UK Particle Technology Forum held in Manchester, UK, 16-17th September. Well done Mat!
- An advert for a PhD studentship in P4G, working on the heat stability of chocolate with Ian Wilson, Eugene Terentjev (Physics) and Malcolm Bolton (Geotechnical Engineering), went viral!
- Paper published: Chesterton, A.K.S., Wilson, D.I., Sadd, P.A. and Moggridge, G.D. (2015) ‘A novel laboratory scale method for studying heat treatment of cake flour’, J Food Eng., 144, 36–44.
- [19 June to 2014] Congratulations to Cathy Colett, SID, who was awarded the North Carolina State University prize for the best CET IIB (MEng final year) Research Project. Cathy did her project with Alia Ardron, CHR, working on building an extensional rheometer for measurements on pitcher plant fluids in the field.. literally ... in Borneo.
- [11 June 2014] Congratulations to Sarah Rough, who has been promoted to Senior Lecturer. Well done Sarah!
- Paper published: Niu, C.H., Baylak. T., Wilson, D.I. and Zhang, M. (2014) 'Pelletisation of canola meal by extrusion-spheronisation for ethanol dehydration', Biomass Bioenergy, 66, 116-125.
- Paper published: Torres, M.D., Hallmark, B. and Wilson, D.I. (2014) ‘Effect of concentration on shear and extensional rheology of guar gum solutions’, Food Hydrocolloids, 40, 85-95.
- [April 2014] Dr Loly Torres Perez, P4G research fellow working with Drs. Bart Hallmark and Ian Wilson, has won the university prize for best PhD dissertation at the University of Santiago de Compostela. Well done, Loly!
- [April 2014] P4G hosted the highly successful international conference on Fouling & Cleaning in Food Processing 2014.
- [March 2014] Dr Tao Wang (supervisors Dr Ian Wilson and Prof. John Davidson) has completed his PhD and moved on to pastures new. Well done, Tao!
- Paper published: Wilson, D.I., Atkinson, P., Köhler, H., Mauermann, M., Stoye, H., Suddaby, K., Wang, T., Davidson, J.F. and Majschak, J-P. (2014) ‘Cleaning of soft-solid soil layers on vertical and horizontal surfaces by coherent impinging liquid jets’, Chem. Eng. Sci., 109, 183–196.
- Paper published: Gordon, P.W., Schöler, M., Föste, H., Helbig, M., Augustin, W., Chew, Y.M.J., Scholl, S, Majschak, J-P, Wilson, D.I. (2014) 'A comparison of local phosphorescence detection and fluid dynamic gauging methods for studying the removal of cohesive fouling layers: effect of layer roughness', Food Bioprod. Proc, 92, 46–53.
- [Jan 2014] Dr Ian Wilson has been awarded the ScD degree by the University of Cambridge for his contributions to the fields of heat exchanger fouling and cleaning.
News in 2013
- Bingham Fluid Medal awarded to Dr Ian Wilson
- Paper published in International journal of pharmaceutics - A comparison of screen and ram extrusion-spheronisation of simple pharmaceutical pastes based on microcrystalline cellulose.
- Paper published in Chemical Engineering Science - Flow patterns and draining films created by horizontal and inclined coherent water jets impinging on vertical walls.
- Paper published in Journal of Food Engineering - Investigating the effect of starting mode on food fat gel layer formation on cold surfaces.
- Best Presentation at AIChE Spring Meeting Group members Edward Ishiyama and Ian Wilson were co-authors (along with Alison Ogden-Quin and Graham Birch [both Ineos] and presenting author Simon Pugh [IHS]) of the paper 'How to get the best from your preheat train - a UK refinery based sase study’ which was awarded one of the 9 presentation prizes sponsored by the AIChE Fuels and Petrochemicals Division at the 2013 AIChE spring meeting held in Houston, Texas.
- Best Poster Award at Conference: Qianpeng Yang (Mong Fellowship visitor at Sidney Sussex and P4G member 2012/13) won one of the best poster awards at the Xth International Conference on Heat Exchanger Fouling and Cleaning held in Budapest, Hungary. The paper title was 'A new approach for mitigating biofouling by promoting on-line cleaning using a sacrificial paraffin coating' and his co-authors were DI Wilson, S Chang and L. Shi. Well done Qianpeng!
- Paper published in Food and Bioproducts Processing - Evolution of cake batter bubble structure and rheology during planetary mixing.
- Paper published in J Food Engineering - Comparison of the rheology of bubbly liquids prepared by whisking air into a viscous liquid (honey) and a shear-thinning liquid (guar gum solutions)
- Paper published in Exp Therm Fluid Sci - A fluid dynamic gauging device for measuring fouling deposit thickness in opaque liquids at elevated temperature and pressure.
- Paper published in Chemical Engineering Science - Effect of surfactant on flow patterns and draining films created by a horizontal liquid jet impinging on a vertical surface
- Farewells - Drs Min Zhang and Jen-Yi Huang moved on to pastures new in January 2013.
News in 2012
- November 2012 Patrick Gordon wins EHEDG prize