skip to content

Department of Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology


Tamaryn and Amy

In order to study for a PhD in Chemical Engineering or Biotechnology at the University of Cambridge, you must formally apply to Postgraduate Admissions.  Please see their website for more information about applying on-line.   

All first-year PhD research students are registered for no formal registration (NOTAF) until satisfactory progress has been made.  Offer letters from the Board of Graduate Studies to such students say that they have either been registered for a a PhD (Probationary) or NOTAF in the first instance.

Research students are registered for the PhD only after a satisfactory progress assessment at the end of three terms.


Notes on filling in the Graduate Admissions Application Form

Please note that the admissions process can take 2 - 3 months.

Proposed Supervisor, Title of Research and Research Summary:  Before choosing a research area, please see the Department's Research Group page to become familiar with our current research.  On your application, you must enter the name of a prospective supervisor; we are unable to consider applications without one.  A degree of flexibility on both sides (the Department and you) is helpful. Students frequently come to the Department and work in a slightly different area to their original preference.

Scholarships:  Please see the University's Postgraduate Prospectus for details on funding opportunities, deadlines, etc.  (Note:  Scholarship rounds at Cambridge are highly competitive, and we encourage all of our applicants to search for funding sources that are external to the University.)

Reasons for Applying:  Here, we'd like your reasons for applying to Cambridge itself, for example, why Cambridge is an ideal fit for your proposed research.

Statement of Interest:  Let us know why you're interested in the course, why you feel you're an ideal candidate for it, and what you would do with your degree after its completion.

College Preferences:  The application form asks you to indicate a choice of College; for information on choosing a college, please see the College information page.

Letters of Reference:  When selecting referees, please refer to the guidelines provided by Postgraduate Admissions on who to nominate to be your referees.  We do not normally accept an additional, third letter of recommendation.

For more information about applications, see the following link: